Thursday 16 July 2020

In June I finished a portrait doll of my friend Pauline, who very sadly passed away last year from cancer.  Her daughter asked me to make it as a gift for her father as a reminder of his late wife.  I was nervous as I wasn't sure if I could do it justice but agreed to give it a go.  I was so glad I did, as it allowed me a lot of time to recall the many times we spent together, often laughing till my jaw hurt!  I  chose the photo - it was a favourite of mine from a time when Pauline's family and friends got together for a special anniversary meal.  I used a pattern from Louise Crowther's "My Knitted Doll" as the basis, just changing the head as I'm not keen on the flat look of the heads in the book.  Pauline loved her fur-lined boots so I had to include them.  I swiss darned the details on the top - it took me a whole day!  I used DROPS baby merino yarn but had wished that there was a colour more suitable for the flesh tone.  I was happy with the finished results though, as was Pauline's family!




No comments:

Post a Comment